This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
The Old Kennels is a 25 acre holding comprising open pasture and woodland, we offer courses in rural and traditional arts, crafts and skills. We have a self-catering apartment (The Loft) which we also offer as bed and breakfast accommodation to people attending our courses and other guests.
We are rurally located, with beautiful views across the Blackdown Hills and are centrally located for sightseeing and days out across Devon. The ‘Number 20’ bus passes the end of our lane, and we are surrounded by super country pubs to enjoy an evening meal (the nearest of which is The Catherine Wheel at Hemyock which is approximately 3 miles). We are also conveniently located for Dunkeswell Airfield and industrial estate if you are travelling on business or flying in in a light aircraft, gliding or attending Mansell Raceway or the Skydive Buzz (the parachute school).
‘The Loft’ offers comfortable four-star accommodation with a lounge, television, two bathrooms and hand built kitchen with Belfast sink, hob, oven, microwave oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, kettle, toaster and washing machine. You will find ground coffee, herb teas and fresh milk in the fridge and of course a whole packet of biscuits in the tin, as well as a terrace seating area with far reaching views across the fields and valley. You may book a room, or the whole loft as an apartment sleeping up to four guests.
PLEASE SEE OUR SEPARATE ACCESS STATEMENT FOR ACCOMMODATION.
Walkers and Cyclists are welcome and we have a large drying room and secure bike storage for your convenience.
We have been graded as four-star guest accommodation by The AA, Gold standard by the Green Tourism Business Scheme and Platinum by Trip Advisor Green Leaders programme.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance, we would be glad to speak to you before you arrive to ensure your visit is as comfortable and convenient as possible – please phone 01823 681138 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the ‘Find Us’ page on our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is EX14 4RW to get directions – but do note that roads do not often have names in the countryside despite Google Maps thinking they do!
- The nearest railway station is Honiton, which is approximately 5 miles away (a 15-20 minute drive). Taxis are sometimes available at the station, but we strongly suggest you pre-book as far ahead as possible. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see our page on ‘Arriving by Train’ for details and the numbers below.
- The nearest bus stop is 500m/546yds from the B&B – ask the driver to stop at Stentwood (just after the Sheldon Turning of coming from Honiton. There is no shelter or seating. All buses can accommodate one wheelchair. The No. 20 bus runs to/from the High Street in Honiton, but not all the way to the railway station – we are rural and the bus is variable so please click here for the latest timetable.
- There are no pavements on the streets nearby and our driveway is planings so prone to be uneven.
- There is a local company which supplies equipment that can be hired, see contact information below for details.
- This Access Statement is available in Access Courses.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There are plenty of parking spaces on the driveway in front of the house approximately 3.5m/20ft from the front door.
- The driveway has a rough surface leading to the front door. The drive and access to the accommodation is lit at night by a motion sensor light.
- There are 5 steps to the front door with a wrought iron handrail on one side, the house is not wheel chair accessible.
- The front door to the house is 1050mm/41ins wide.
- Assistance can be given with bags.
Welcome Area – The Conservatory
When attending a course at The Old Kennels it is important to know that the access is limited, we are not a purpose built establishment, this is our home, it is a converted barn on a steep hill. The front door to the house is up five steps and when inside there are two steps up to access the kitchen, and there are three steps in total to access either bathroom.
We ask that if you have any special requirements at all that you contact us before booking so that we can discuss access, physical requirements of the course and your comfort in advance, so that your visit can be as comfortable and well organised as possible for your uninterrupted enjoyment of your time here.
- Guests are welcomed in to the conservatory, which is up five steps to the front door, however once at the top the room is level throughout.
- Seating is available with 12 dining chairs, two with and ten without arms around a long table.
- A cup of tea/coffee (with fresh milk or non-dairy alternative) and some (GF) biscuits are always available on arrival to revive you after your journey.
- The flooring is wooden floorboards with one rug and a doormat in the conservatory, and one tiled bathroom floor.
- The conservatory has excellent natural light, and is evenly lit with overhead LED lighting. Additional lighting is always available on request. The access steps and drive are also lit with PIRs and solar lighting after dark.
- A magnifying glass, pen and pad of paper are available on request.
- Guests are shown in, and told where toilets, fire exits and other facilities are located.
- We have both indoor and feral cats and Alpacas grazing in the fields.
The Studio is located 10m/30ft away from the house, there are no steps to access the studio and there is a toilet accessible from the studio through a door 750mm/29.5ins wide with a threshold, but otherwise flat access with no steps. We come into the conservatory for lunch and depending on the type of course we may be in the conservatory for the whole duration rather than the studio, especially if the course requires a clean, light working area and/or the need to use the kitchen. Some courses are held primarily outside. This will be made clear when you book and any special requirements in the way of clothing will also be explained (eg bring a sun hat or layer with warm clothes).
- The Studio is on the ground floor, the access is step-free and level from the front door and into the toilet.
- The door to the toilet is 690mm/27in wide and there is a raised threshold.
- The layout of the Studio changes dependent on the requirements of the class, there are 12 chairs, all four legged conference venue padded style, many courses require you to stand for prolonged periods or perhaps sit on stools, shave horses or other positions – please speak to us prior to booking to ensure you understand what the course entails if you have any special requirements, or are concerned as to the physical ability needed for the course. We will always explain the course carefully so you can decide if it is the best selection for you and we may be able to omit certain steps for you so that you can still enjoy the course.
- If you feel you may need support or assistance, why not being a friend or family member on the course with you, people often work in pairs or together on courses and it often adds to your enjoyment to spend time with a friend.
- The height of all of the working surfaces is usually 750mm/27” lower or higher tables/cushions are available on request.
- Rooms are bright and evenly lit, there are bedside lamps in the rooms and an additional reading lamp in the lounge. When on courses additional lighting is always available on request.
- All of our offer the following: Lighting as above, good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors, solid floors.
There is one toilet accessible from the studio through a door that has a threshold, and is 750mm/29.5ins wide, there are three steps in total to access the bathrooms in the main house.
All bathrooms have the following:
- Door opening to the bathroom is 690mm/27in wide.
- The toilet height is 400mm/15.7ins.
- The wash basin height is 800mm/31.5ins.
- Conventional taps on the washbasin and bath.
- There are no grab rails.
- Well lit, with overhead LED light and mirror light
- All toilets have the following: Lighting as above, good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors, quarry tiled or wooden flooring.
Public Areas – Lounge
Although not part of the areas used for courses, it is necessary to walk via the lounge to the kitchen and toilets, this area is also open for sitting down during coffee and lunch breaks.
- The lounge is situated on the ground floor (as is the whole area of the house that is accessible on courses) with step free/level entry from the conservatory.
- The door opening to the lounge is 750mm/29.5ins wide.
- There is a step out of the back door on to the lawn where there is an outdoor seating area used for lunch and some courses in fine weather.
- There are two steps up and one down to reach the toilet and two steps up to the kitchen.
- The room has a mixture of seating with sofa and soft chairs, together with occasional tables for use if required.
- Lighting is natural daylight and overhead LED lighting as well as a standard lamp.
- The flooring is wooden floorboards with one rug and a door mat to the back door.
The kitchen is situated on the ground floor and is accessed by two brick steps up from the lounge.
- The steps to the kitchen are 750mm/29.5ins wide and it is level throughout the room.
- The work surfaces, gas hob and sink are at 800mm/30″ high and taps are lever operated. The oven is low level, the fridge eye level.
- Lighting is from a suntube and overhead LED lighting.
- The flooring is wooden floor boards.
- Crockery is in contrasting colours to the table.
- Lunch is ‘bring and share’ or we can provide a lunch contribution for you at a cost of £5 per day. There are always organic bread and (most of the year homegrown) organic green salad and potatoes available as well. If you have any special dietary requirements, please alert us to these when booking and we will ensure you are aware of ingredients. Hot and cold drinks are inclusive and served throughout the day, with a selection of teas, freshly ground coffee and organic milk/non-dairy drink and homemade cordials.
- The lawn can be accessed from the lounge by one step. Tables and chairs are heavy wooden benches with no arms, the path is quarry tiles.
- The garden area is a flat lawn, there is a slope of about 18” to the driveway on one side, this is not fenced
- There are always sun umbrellas available for the tables – please ask if these are required.
GRID REFERENCE ST1309/ST1310
NEAREST ACCESS BY ROAD:
DUNKESWELL TO HEMYOCK ROAD C131 (MAIN ROAD)
BY HELICOPTER; LANDING IN FIELD ABOVE OR BELOW HOUSE
PHONE NUMBER OF LOCAL DOCTORS SURGERIES
OPEN 9AM-5PM MONDAY – FRIDAY
The Surgery, Station Road, Hemyock, Cullompton, Devon EX15 3SF
Tel: 01823 680206 (message with emergency doctor’s number out of hours)
Located on the left hand side as you drive from here through the village of Hemyock
HONITON HOSPITAL (MINOR INJURIES ONLY)
Honiton Hospital, Marlpits Lane, Honiton, Devon, EX14 2DE Tel: 01404 540540 7 miles – Ten to fifteen minutes’ drive (very quiet hospital never long to wait)
DIRECTIONS: Turn right up our lane, at main road turn left follow road through Dunkeswell to T junction. Turn right to Honiton, follow road five miles downhill. At T junction turn right, follow road to roundabout, turn right down high street. Take first major left turn – into New Street (by Lloyds bank). Go past station on right and turn immediately right in to Marlpitts Lane, hospital is on your left.
CAR PARKING IF FREE – BUT THERE IS NO DISABLED PARKING
MUSGROVE PARK HOSPITAL TAUNTON (FULL Accident and Emergency unit) Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 5DA Tel: 01823 333444
11 miles – Thirty minutes’ drive (It should be noted that this is a very busy hospital and less urgent injuries may expect to wait some hours to be seen)
DIRECTIONS: Turn right up our lane, at main road turn right, follow road to T junction (beside Catherine Wheel pub in Hemyock). Turn right and drive through village, climbing the long hill out and driving through the hamlet of Symmonsborrow. At T junction go straight over, at next T junction turn right towards Taunton. Follow this road to roundabout, take third exit to Taunton, and continue to next roundabout (some miles). At roundabout take second exit (straight over), and take right hand turning approx 1 mile on marked to Musgrove Park Hospital A&E. ENSURE YOU TAKE CHANGE FOR THE CAR PARK
- IN THE EVENT OF FIRE; EVACUATE THE BUILDING, TAKING THE EMERGENCY INFORMATION NOTICE WITH YOU, INFORM OCCUPANTS OF HOUSE AND WORKSHOP BELOW AND TELEPHONE 999 (or if using a mobile 112) USING THESE DETAILS TO GIVE LOCATION – PLEASE TELL THE EMERGENCY SERVICES THAT WE HAVE BOTTLED OXYGEN STORED ON SITE.
- TO SUMMON HELP DAY OR NIGHT: Please knock on the front door at the house.
- MOBILE PHONES do not work at The Old Kennels, or in The Loft apartment
- FREE WIFI is available – there is no password
|Address (Inc postcode):
||THE OLD KENNELS STENTWOOD DUNKESWELL DEVON EX14 4RW
|Hours Of Operation:
||Newholme House, Northcote Lane, HONITON, EX14 1NH Tel: 01404 44411
|Local Equipment Hire:
||The Red Cross – Hire daily/weekly. Tel: 0845 3313331 Courtesy Care, Axminster – Hire daily/weekly. Tel: 01297 35985 Shop Mobility Parking Available in Exeter, further information on 01392 494001 / Honiton. Tel: 01404 46529 Disabled Parking, please note all disabled drivers must pay for parking in EDDC Car Parks (including Orange Badge holders).
|Local Accessible Taxi:
||Sparkys Honiton 01404 47670 (min bus for wheel chair) Horse shoe taxis 01404 850 800 (room for fold up wheel chair) TRIP Community Transport, 29/31 New Street, Honiton EX14 1HA email; email@example.com http://tripcta.org/ tel. 01404 46529
|Local Public Transport:
||www.nationalrail.co.uk – Church Hill,Honiton,EX14 8DA – 0845 600 0650 https://bustimes.org.uk/services/swe_33-20-_-y10 – Number 20 Bus TRIP Community Transport, 29/31 New Street, Honiton EX14 1HA email; firstname.lastname@example.org http://tripcta.org/ tel. 01404 46529