This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
The Old Kennels is a 25 acre holding comprising open pasture and woodland, we offer courses in rural and traditional arts, crafts and skills. We have a self-catering apartment (The Loft) which we also offer as bed and breakfast accommodation to people attending our courses and other guests.
We are rurally located, with beautiful views across the Blackdown Hills and are centrally located for sightseeing and days out across Devon. The ‘Number 20’ bus passes the end of our lane, and we are surrounded by super country pubs to enjoy an evening meal (the nearest of which is The Catherine Wheel at Hemyock which is approximately 3 miles). We are also conveniently located for Dunkeswell Airfield and industrial estate if you are travelling on business or flying in in a light aircraft, gliding or attending Mansell Raceway or the Skydive Buzz (the parachute school).
‘The Loft’ offers comfortable four-star accommodation with a lounge, television, two bathrooms and hand built kitchen with Belfast sink, hob, oven, microwave oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, kettle, toaster and washing machine. You will find ground coffee, herb teas and fresh milk in the fridge and of course a whole packet of biscuits in the tin, as well as a terrace seating area with far reaching views across the fields and valley. You may book a room, or the whole loft as an apartment sleeping up to four guests.
‘Filberts’ is a cosy room with an en-suite shower room and toilet, with views through its roof light high into the filbert trees which are often alive with squirrel activity!
‘Firs’ is slightly larger, has a private bathroom opposite the door, and magnificent views across the valley. Both rooms are comfortably furnished with antique and vintage detail.
Our rooms are equipped with hairdryers and alarm clocks and bathrooms have plentiful fresh towels, Scottish Fine Soap company shower gel, hand wash and moisturiser dispensers. Rooms may be made up for single, double or twin occupancy. The quilts on our beds are of course our own Alpaca, but if you would prefer synthetic hollow fibre please just ask.
Our substantial continental breakfast hamper option includes; ground coffee, a choice or organic milk or non-dairy, a selection of teas, organic cereals/porridge, fruit, yogurt, homemade preserves and freshly baked bread. If you have any special dietary requirements we will be pleased to cater accordingly.
Walkers and Cyclists are welcome and we have a large drying room and secure bike storage for your convenience.
We have been graded as four-star guest accommodation by The AA, Gold standard by the Green Tourism Business Scheme and Platinum by Trip Advisor Green Leaders programme.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance, please phone 01823 681138 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the ‘Find Us’ page on our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is EX14 4RW to get directions – but do note that roads do not often have names in the countryside despite Google Maps thinking they do!
- The nearest railway station is Honiton, which is approximately 5 miles away (a 15-20 minute drive). Taxis are sometimes available at the station, but we strongly suggest you pre-book as far ahead as possible. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see our page on ‘Arriving by Train’ for details and the numbers below.
- The nearest bus stop is 500m/546yds from the B&B – ask the driver for the stop at Stentwood (just after the Sheldon Turning of coming from Honiton. There is no shelter or seating. All buses can accommodate one wheelchair. The No. 20 bus runs to/from the High Street in Honiton, but not all the way to the railway station – we are rural and the bus is variable so please click here for the latest timetable.
- There are no pavements on the streets nearby and our driveway is planings so prone to be uneven.
- There is a local company which supplies equipment that can be hired, see contact information for details.
- This Access Statement is available in Access Accommodation.
Car Parking and Arrival
- There are plenty of parking spaces on the driveway in front of the house approximately 3.5m/20ft from the front door.
- The driveway has a rough surface leading to the front door. The drive and access to the accommodation is lit at night by a motion sensor light.
- There are 5 steps to the front door with wrought iron handrails on both sides. The Loft is up a flight of 15 outdoor steps which are quite steep, there is also a ramp, but this again is fairly steep and not easily wheel chair accessible due to the house being on a hill.
- The front door to the house is 750mm/29.5ins wide, the front door to The Loft is 690mm/27ins wide.
- Assistance can be given with luggage.
- Guests are welcomed in to the accommodation, which is up an external staircase, which is narrow and steep, this is 13steps, however once at the top the terrace and accommodation are level throughout.
- Seating is available with two wing chairs a winged sofa and four kitchen chairs with no arms in The Loft, and a cup of tea (with fresh milk) and some biscuits are always available on arrival to revive you after your journey.
- The flooring is wood with no rug (just a doormat) in the kitchen and dining area, then short pile throughout the bedrooms and lounge, with tiled bathroom floors.
- The area is evenly lit with overhead lighting (the access steps and drive are also lit with PIRs and solar lighting).
- A magnifying glass, pen and pad of paper are available on request.
- Guests are shown around their accommodation in The Loft.
- Neither of our bedrooms is on the ground floor, although there are step free level accesses from the front door. Both rooms are on the first floor, there are two rooms, both bedrooms can be made up with twin beds, one can be a double on request, both are in The Loft apartment and so need to be reached by the external stairs.
- The doors to the bedrooms and bathrooms are 690mm/27in wide.
- Furniture cannot be easily removed or rearranged in the bedrooms due to ceiling height and slope.
- The second room can be used by an assistant/friend or other family member.
- Assistants/friends or family members are welcome to attend courses at the usual rate.
- The height of all of the beds from the top of the mattress to the floor is 450mm/17.7ins. Blocks to raise the height of the beds are available on request.
- Rooms are bright and evenly lit, there are bedside lamps in the rooms and an additional reading lamp in the lounge. When on courses additional lighting is always available on request.
- All of our bedrooms offer the following: Lighting as above, good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors, short pile carpet, all bedding is non-feather, we have alpaca duvets or hollow fibre on request, small digital television with remote control, subtitles and audio description facilities.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Private)
One room has en-suite shower room, the other has a private bathroom. The en-suite shower room offers the following:
- Door opening to the bathroom is 690mm/27in wide.
- A step into the shower, the door of which is 610mm/24in wide.
- The toilet height is 400mm/15.7ins.
- The wash basin height is 800mm/31.5ins.
- Conventonal taps on the washbasin
- Well lit with overhead LED spotlight and mirror light
The private bathroom offers the following:
- Door opening to the bathroom is 690mm/27in wide.
- The toilet height is 400mm/15.7ins.
- The wash basin height is 800mm/31.5ins.
- Conventional taps on the washbasin and bath.
- A grab rail by the bath.
- Well lit, with overhead LED light and mirror light
- Both bath and shower room have the following: Lighting as above, good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors, quarry tiled flooring.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas are well lit using LED ceiling lights.
- There is short pile carpet in the lounge and bedrooms, wooden flooring in the kitchen and dining area.
- There is a continuous flight of thirteen steps to the first floor with a handrail on one side to access The Loft.
Public Areas – Lounge
- The guest lounge is situated on the first floor (as is the whole Loft accommodation) with step free/level entry from the front door and bedrooms.
- The door opening to the dining room/kitchen is 1.5mm/60ins wide.
- There is a step out of the front door into the terrace garden and seating area and a further step up to the path access.
- The room has a mixture of seating with sofa and soft chairs, two high wing backed chairs with arms and four kitchen chairs in the dining area without arms, together with a low coffee table and occasional tables if required.
- Lighting is natural daylight and overhead LED lighting as well as a table lamp
- The flooring is short pile carpet
Kitchen and Dining Room
- The kitchen/dining room is situated in The Loft apartment so it therefore on the first floor with one step from the front door (having already come up the outdoor stairs), but step free from the lounge, kitchen and bedrooms.
- The door opening to the dining room is 750mm/29.5ins wide and it is level throughout.
- The work surfaces, hob and sink are at 800mm/30″ high and taps are conventional. The oven is low level as is the fridge, washing machine and dishwasher.
- Lighting is natural daylight and overhead lighting.
- The flooring is wooden floor boards.
- Crockery is in contrasting colours to the table.
- Our substantial continental breakfast hamper option includes; ground coffee, a choice or organic milk or non-dairy, a selection of teas, organic cereals/porridge, fruit, yogurt, homemade preserves and freshly baked bread. If you have any special dietary requirements we will be pleased to cater accordingly.
- There is a terrace and seating area which can be accessed from the kitchen by one step. Tables and chairs are fixed wooden benches with no arms, the path is concrete.
- The garden area is small with a sloping lawn and shrubs, there is one step up to the lawn then a steeply sloping concrete path down to the driveway as an alternative to the steps, this is not wheel chair accessible.
GRID REFERENCE ST1309/ST1310
NEAREST ACCESS BY ROAD:
DUNKESWELL TO HEMYOCK ROAD C131 (MAIN ROAD)
BY HELICOPTER; LANDING IN FIELD ABOVE OR BELOW HOUSE
PHONE NUMBER OF LOCAL DOCTORS SURGERIES
OPEN 9AM-5PM MONDAY – FRIDAY
The Surgery, Station Road, Hemyock, Cullompton, Devon EX15 3SF
Tel: 01823 680206 (message with emergency doctor’s number out of hours)
Located on the left hand side as you drive from here through the village of Hemyock
HONITON HOSPITAL (MINOR INJURIES ONLY)
Honiton Hospital, Marlpits Lane, Honiton, Devon, EX14 2DE Tel: 01404 540540 7 miles – Ten to fifteen minutes’ drive (very quiet hospital never long to wait)
DIRECTIONS: Turn right up our lane, at main road turn left follow road through Dunkeswell to T junction. Turn right to Honiton, follow road five miles downhill. At T junction turn right, follow road to roundabout, turn right down high street. Take first major left turn – into New Street (by Lloyds bank). Go past station on right and turn immediately right in to Marlpitts Lane, hospital is on your left.
CAR PARKING IF FREE – BUT THERE IS NO DISABLED PARKING
MUSGROVE PARK HOSPITAL TAUNTON (FULL Accident and Emergency unit) Musgrove Park Hospital,Taunton, Somerset, TA1 5DA Tel: 01823 333444
11 miles – Thirty minutes’ drive (It should be noted that this is a very busy hospital and less urgent injuries may expect to wait some hours to be seen)
DIRECTIONS: Turn right up our lane, at main road turn right, follow road to T junction (beside Catherine Wheel pub in Hemyock). Turn right and drive through village, climbing the long hill out and driving through the hamlet of Symmonsborrow. At T junction go straight over, at next T junction turn right towards Taunton. Follow this road to roundabout, take third exit to Taunton, and continue to next roundabout (some miles). At roundabout take second exit (straight over), and take right hand turning approx 1 mile on marked to Musgrove Park Hospital A&E. ENSURE YOU TAKE CHANGE FOR THE CAR PARK
- IN THE EVENT OF FIRE; EVACUATE THE BUILDING, INFORM OCCUPANTS OF HOUSE AND WORKSHOP BELOW AND TELEPHONE 999 (or if using a mobile 112) USING THESE DETAILS TO GIVE LOCATION
- TO SUMMON HELP DAY OR NIGHT: Please knock on the front door at the house.
- MOBILE PHONES do not work at The Old Kennels, or in The Loft apartment
- FREE WIFI is available – there is no password
|Address (Inc postcode):
||THE OLD KENNELS STENTWOOD DUNKESWELL DEVON EX14 4RW
|Hours Of Operation:
||Newholme House, Northcote Lane, HONITON, EX14 1NH Tel: 01404 44411
|Local Equipment Hire:
||The Red Cross – Hire daily/weekly. Tel: 0845 3313331 Courtesy Care, Axminster – Hire daily/weekly. Tel: 01297 35985 Shop Mobility Parking Available in Exeter, further information on 01392 494001 / Honiton. Tel: 01404 46529 Disabled Parking, please note all disabled drivers must pay for parking in EDDC Car Parks (including Orange Badge holders).
|Local Accessible Taxi:
||Sparkys Honiton 01404 47670 (min bus for wheel chair) Horse shoe taxis 01404 850 800 (room for fold up wheel chair) TRIP Community Transport, 29/31 New Street, Honiton EX14 1HA email; email@example.com http://tripcta.org/ tel. 01404 46529
|Local Public Transport:
||www.nationalrail.co.uk – Church Hill,Honiton,EX14 8DA – 0845 600 0650 https://bustimes.org.uk/services/swe_33-20-_-y10 – Number 20 Bus TRIP Community Transport, 29/31 New Street, Honiton EX14 1HA email; firstname.lastname@example.org http://tripcta.org/ tel. 01404 46529